Nonprofit Finance Fund (NFF) is seeking a Strategic Initiatives Associate to support the development of new investment programs and initiatives from concept to launch. Under the guidance of the Vice President, Strategic Initiatives (VPSI), the Associate is involved in project management, market research, concept drafting, development of marketing materials, and raising capital for investment purposes and operations.
Accordingly, the Associate is expected to: (i) become conversant with NFF’s mission, strategy, and the full range of NFF’s Financial Products & Advisory Services, (ii) manage multiple projects at various stages of development, meeting deadlines and ensuring quality of deliverables and (iii) effectively communicate key NFF messages, written and verbally, to internal and external audiences.
Associates at NFF are expected to show initiative and a strong work ethic, while being open to direction. They are problem solvers with a willingness to receive and integrate feedback, exceptional interpersonal and analytical skills, keen attention to detail, and the ability to balance multiple projects on tight schedules. The Associate needs to exercise judgment and flexibility in working with internal and external stakeholders in diverse geographies, industries and roles.
This position is a national position located in NFF’s offices in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, San Francisco or Los Angeles. Travel is expected and could potentially account for up to 40% of the Associate’s time.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the VP, Strategic Initiatives, in the drafting of concept papers, presentations and other documents as needed and requested;
- At the direction of the VP, Strategic Initiatives, perform research to support project development and implementation including sector trends, industry leaders and funders, and client development
- Maintain data systems including tracking records in Salesforce, ensuring accurate and up-to-date information on the status of relationship activity and the schedule of proposals, reports, presentations, and other materials due to prospective investors and funders;
- Under the direction of the VP, Strategic Initiatives and in coordination with Financial Services Operations team, provide the data, analysis and reporting necessary for managing and communicating NFF’s Strategic Initiatives practice and relationships;
- As needed, field incoming calls about NFF's work, particularly its strategic initiatives, direct calls to staff members as appropriate, and assist in prioritizing call returns;
- Participate in internal and external meetings as appropriate, document and share meeting notes and follow-up tasks and support team follow-up on next steps;
- As needed arrange meeting logistics including scheduling and coordination;
- Working with other departments compile and curate an accessible repository of materials for Financial Services related concept papers, proposals and RFP responses, including current and accurate stock descriptions of NFF’s services, accomplishments, and positions;
- Perform other duties as needed or required.
Essential Requirements for Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- 1-3 years of experience in a fast-paced, execution-focused professional setting, preferably familiar with both the nonprofit and for-profit sectors;
- Experience with CRM systems, preferably Salesforce (or commitment to developing Salesforce proficiency and expertise);
- Financial services experience preferred;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Power Point and Excel;
- Exceptional commitment to accuracy and attention to detail;
- Professional maturity; ability to interact with colleagues, clients, funders, board members and leaders in the field;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with confidence and in a direct, honest and respectful manner; provide feedback to, and receive feedback from, managers and peers;
- Ability to multi-task and set work priorities among competing needs;
- Professional maturity, enthusiasm and flexibility; a self-starter with a sense of humor;
- Some travel, as well as a flexible work schedule, may be necessary.
- Proficiency in technology applications particularly Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Flexible, curious, creative, enthusiastic and with a sense of humor.
Specialized Knowledge/Beneficial Skills and Experience:
- Appetite and aptitude for dealing with the uncertainties characteristic of a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment;
- Excellent communication skills to convey complex information appropriately to stakeholders with different backgrounds and needs, both verbal and written.
- An appetite for, and sensitivity to, working with and in diverse cultures.
- Basic knowledge and strong curiosity about a broad range of social issues on which NFF works on including Impact Investing, Pay for Success programs, health care and charter schools.
All salaries are commensurate with experience and include an attractive benefits package.
NFF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or military or veteran status in accordance with federal law. In addition, NFF complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it maintains facilities. NFF also provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws.
This job posting provides a general list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required for this position. It does not represent a contract for employment and NFF reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without notice.
When applying, please DO NOT include any of the following information with your job application: Social Security number; driver's license number or state-issued identification card number; financial account number, or credit or debit card number.