Nonprofit Finance Fund’s (NFF) Financial Services Team is seeking to hire an In-House Counsel to work with a team of professionals dedicated to serving the needs of low-income communities and persons, primarily by providing capital to meet the needs of nonprofit organizations in the health, education, human services sectors. The In-House Counsel will close or oversee the closing of loans and New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) investments to nonprofit organizations, support NFF’s efforts to raise loan capital, and provide additional legal support for other financing activities and initiatives, including the development of new loan funds.
This is a national position and will be based in New York, NY. This position reports to the Vice President & Chief Credit Officer.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Closing or overseeing outside counsel closing of loans to nonprofit and mission-driven organizations:
- Provide advice on structuring of loans and investments.
- Draft or review and negotiate commitment letters, loan documents and participation agreements in accordance with credit approval terms.
- Review closing due diligence, including environmental, survey and title matters, corporate searches, leases and construction contracts.
- Manage closing checklist to ensure delivery and approval of all closing items.
- Coordinate loan closing and initial disbursement, and support review and approval of construction draw requests.
- Loan Amendments, Modifications, Restructurings and Other Legal Matters – Draft loan amendment and modification documents, and provide legal support in matters involving restructurings, bankruptcies, foreclosure, litigation and other matters affecting the loan portfolio.
- New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) investments – Serve as in-house attorney for NFF’s NMTC program, with responsibilities for forming and certifying community development entities, ensuring compliance with allocation agreements and supporting closing of NMTC transactions.
- Loans to NFF: Participate in the review and negotiation of loan documents evidencing loans provided to NFF.
- Loan Funds – Support the structuring, formation and management of loan funds designed to expand NFF’s loan product offerings.
- Legal Documents and Opinions – Prepare and review legal documents, such as corporate resolutions, engagement letters, and confidentiality agreements, and deliver corporate legal opinions as needed.
- Other Duties – Supports and contributes to a diverse range of Financial Services projects and initiatives, including internal policies.
Essential Requirements for Education and/or Experience:
- Juris Doctor and admission to New York bar.
- Minimum three (3) years of in-house or law firm experience in lending transactions secured by various forms of collateral.
- Excellent written and verbal communications and interpersonal skills.
- Strong time-management and organizational abilities.
- Self-starter with the ability to work with limited supervision and collaborate with colleagues.
- Client service focused, with an aptitude for resolving issues in a constructive manner.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex legal issues.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel occasionally for projects and/or conferences.
Specialized Knowledge/Beneficial Skills and Experience:
- Experience closing or managing New Markets Tax Credit investments.
- Construction lending expertise.
- Familiarity with tax-exempt organizations law.
- Work or volunteer experience with nonprofit organizations, or demonstrated interest in working for an organization that principally serves nonprofit clients.
- An openness to learning new skills, with an entrepreneurial work ethic.
All salaries are commensurate with experience and include an attractive benefits package.
NFF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or military or veteran status in accordance with federal law. In addition, NFF complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it maintains facilities. NFF also provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws.
This job posting provides a general list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required for this position. It does not represent a contract for employment and NFF reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
When submitting an application, please DO NOT include any of the following information with your job application: Social Security number; driver's license number or state-issued identification card number; financial account number, or credit or debit card number.